Google

Video of the Week

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hip-Hop Magazines At A Decline


Maybe its just me but a good Hip-Hop Magazine is hard to come by. Back in the 90's, The Source Magazine was my magazine of choice. They were infamous for keeping u connected to the culture. There was no he say she say nonsense, before Benzino took over. Anyone who graced the cover needed to be there. Definitely received your moneys worth each month. They did not focus on the beef in the industry or just who who was popular now. They made took part in helping to squash the beef and showcasing how our favorite Hip-Hop artists are contributing to the Hip-Hop community. I looked forward to see who made the Unsigned Hype column each month, they were recognizing raw talent at its best. They were a magazine with pure quality and consistency, but then that soon came to a end. When Benzino bought The Source Magazine I lost all respect for the magazine. Every cover seemed to be consistent each month attacking Eminem and the 50 Cent camp. The price increased and the magazine got smaller looking more like XXL at the time then what we all was accustomed to. From there I had stop purchasing, because they lost there substance. That really hurt The Source Magazine in my eyes, and as they were fading in my eyes XXL magazine was picking up where The Source left off. Hip-Hop Magazines are already rare so this is disappointing for the fans that enjoyed their magazine so much. I am still not a huge fan of XXL magazine but I have noticed they are getting a lot better on the issues they address and not just a man's magazine because for a while it seem to be that way. Will XXL be the new true Hip-Hop magazine, or will The Source revive from the dark shadows and reclaim there spot as #1 Hip Hop Magazine because I definitely know they have what it takes.

No comments: